The last time I made mushroom soup was when I was in secondary school for my home economics exam. It was a disastrous yellow mixture so I stayed away from making it again even though I love mushroom soup.
Recently, I’ve been craving for some good soup and garlic bread. I came across this recipe from Singapore foodie and it looks easy enough! So I took the courage to try again.
For the sake of our health, Jason and I have been putting in quite a lot of effort to eat healthier. The original recipe called for flour to thicken the soup. Since I don’t really like the idea of putting flour into my soup (seems like carbs with little nutrition), I searched for a good alternative. The answer I found was pureed potato, which worked like magic.
For the garlic bread, you could use any bread. An easy substitute for white bread is wholemeal bread, which tastes just as good with the homemade garlic butter.
The one machine that has saved my life for a few years now is my trusty air fryer. Compared to an oven, there are no complicated controls. It’s so lightweight and easy to use. I use it to make so many things, including this garlic bread.
for 4 pax
500ml fresh milk
1 chicken cube
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 Tbsp butter
1 tin of button mushrooms (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
2 small potatoes
- Peel and chop potato into chunks. Boil for 20 minutes. Drain the water and blend the potatoes in a processor until smooth.
- Heat some oil in a soup pot and fry onion and mushrooms until aromatic.
- Add water and milk, bring to a boil. Add chicken cube.
- Season with black pepper, salt, parsley, butter. Continue stirring.
- Stir in the pureed potato.
- Lower the heat to simmer the soup until it thickens.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve hot!
Wholemeal Garlic Bread
- Chop the garlic finely.
- Mix the garlic, parsley, and salt into the butter.
- Spread the garlic butter on bread.
- Pop it into your toaster oven, oven or air fryer. For air fryer, toast it at 160 degrees Celcius for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.